Saturday, May 21, 2011

Laying out a painting







As mentioned before I seem to have a lot of commissions on at the moment and this is one of them. Commissions can be quite scary I think. Just painting on a large canvas and the investment involved can be bad enough when you have been painting quite small for a while! Anyway, I have pretty much finished the first one, which I would post but I haven't managed to get a good photo of it. So, I thought I would post the stages that I go through when laying out a painting. Already I can see I need to lift the right hand side of the painting, so it's definitely worth taking photos .. you can see a lot more this way. I am quite pleased with the start though. I will post more as I go along.

For those of you that were interested in my give away... all I can say is huge apologies..but the little painting I had earmarked got sold (I can't pass up the money at the moment!)... so I am afraid we will have to wait a while until I have time to do another one... but I haven't forgotten, honest!

8 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

I love seeing how other artists lay out their paintings. Thanks for posting your process. It looks like you're off to a wonderful start. May I ask what color you used for the underpainting?

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Hi Janelle, I usually use Burnt Sienna, but I know there are lots of different Burnt Sienna's... it all depends on if I know what I want the end result to be! Sometimes I use a purple (ultramarine and a crimson of some sort).

loriann signori said...

Hi Lynne!!!!
I love seeing the beginning of your painting. How BIG is this one?
PS I agree with you about commissions... scary indeed.

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Hi Loriann, it is 24 x 48. Nice size!

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. It is always interesting to see the working process on a painting.
Hope to see more!
Paula

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Thanks Paula. I will post more when I get back to work!

Sarah S said...

thanks so much for sharing your process!

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Thank you Sarah.. I enjoyed looking at your process too.