Sunday, November 10, 2013

Etching, etching, and more etching!

Tiny hard ground etching 2





I have been trying very hard lately to improve my hard ground etching skills.  Just when I think I have got it right, I go and over bite it and it gets too dark, or I get too much foul bite. Hopefully, I will get there in the end!  For inspiration and education,  I have been looking at Rembrandt's etchings and this is a wonderful site for being able to really focus in.  What a treat it is to be able to look at his work so closely.

Tiny hard ground etching 3
I have also been working on an etchings of a pinned beetles  This is the second one, the first one wasn't so good.   I think they are taking on a rather sinister feel.  What do you think?  Please feel free to comment.. just hit the comment button at the bottom of the posting.   I get a lot of people emailing me directly, but it's always nice to be able to show your comments on the blog too.  Thank you.

Hard ground etching
Last Thursday I went to the Natural History Museum (Angela Marmont Centre) to draw for the day.  What a lovely bunch of people they are there.  It was such a wonderful day, I hope to go back again soon.


Finally, I used one of those scary exposure units in the screen printing room last week and produced this solar plate etching.  So much fun!  I used one of my dragonfly photographs, cropped it and made it grey scale and the result is below.  So much potential.. what next?!

Solar plate etching of a dragonfly's wing.

Two colour solar plate etching



7 comments:

Eric said...

Hi Lynne, keep at the hard ground, it'll come good for you. Are you able to look closely at anything by Charles Jacque? He got some wonderful qualities in his hard-ground line etch by unifying passages of line work with roulette, when he wanted extra richness. It has a very subtle effect. If the line etch is closely-knit, the roulette itself is almost impossible to see without a glass, but it unifies the darks very effectively.

Also; are you able to etch in nitric? It can give a nice expressive line and telegraphs when it's foul biting with bubbles appearing in the wrong places.

Thanks for the Rembrandt site. That etching of the old man is constantly amazing; the head, with hair and beard, is no larger than 1.5", but it has a world of subtle detail.

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Thanks Eric.. I will of course keep at it! I do know Jacque's etchings, I think Dr. Bob has shown some? I can't find many good images online.. good enough to see close up. Thanks for the tip though.. do you mean using the roulette as a drypoint technique or on hardground? Sadly, not using nitric. Vertical baths of ferric on copper. SO agree about the Rembrandt... such fine lines on such a small image... dream on Lynne!

artisoo said...

nice prints!! impressive! how creative!

Rozanne Hubbard said...

Your art continues to amaze and inspire me, Lynne. You have such a beautiful touch. I truly wish I could see these pieces in person!

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Many thanks Artisoo and Rozanne, I really appreciate your lovely comment. Thank you. When are coming over to paint the beautiful British countryside!

Barry said...

I think the pinned bugs have a really Dali feel to them and I really liked the first one, really rich and mysterious!

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Thank you darling Barry. x