Friday, January 14, 2011

Rocks







After our jam-packed long weekend in London, visiting friends, spending time with the kids, going to the museum and the movies, we drove down to Kent to visit an old college friend of mine, Jim, who happens to have MS. I try to visit him every time I come to the UK as he is no longer able to travel. He is a great artist and a wonderful classical guitarist, but sadly his hands don't work the way they used to. It's a heart breakingly horrible illness. Jim is the reason I have painted scenes from Romney Marsh on many occasions.

Just after we left him yesterday, Barry and I nipped down to the beach and found these wonderful chalk cliffs. Not surprising really since Jim lives just along the coast from Dover. We were amazed when we stood back to look at this particular grouping... it's just like San Francisco de Asis Church at Ranchos de Taos (where Barry and I actually met 16 years ago!).

4 comments:

Steve sculpts critters said...

New Mexico architecture always looks like sand castles to me.
Glad to see you are both enjoying your trip.

Lynne E. Windsor said...

Yes, I think you are right! I am not looking forward to Barry returning on Thursday :-(

wolfgang said...

I love a good omen, and I can't think of a better one than this astonishing coincidence. The similarities are amazing, and the sixteen years of great painting between your finding the places have been a gift to the art loving public!!!

Lynne E. Windsor said...

It is pretty amazing isn't it? Thanks Wolfy!